What is the Seal of Biliteracy?
The Seal of Biliteracy is a formal recognition award by the Portland Public Schools to a high school student who has attained proficiency in English literacy, and similar skills in one or more other world languages by graduation. The recognition of attaining biliteracy becomes part of the high school transcript and diploma.
How can you earn a Seal of Biliteracy?
- Be a high school senior or junior
- Demonstrate proficiency in English
- Demonstrate proficiency in another world language
- Write a Global Competence Reflection (in English)
Why earn the Seal of Biliteracy?
- To gain recognition of biliteracy skills
- To provide universities with a method to recognize and give credit to applicants for attainment of high level skills in multiple languages
- To provide employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills
What is the timeline for the Seal of Biliteracy?
- Join the Seal of Biliteracy google classroom (xvkmr55) and take the google survey to register for test before the October testing dates
- Take AAPPL or AVANT test in October (offered at PHS and DHS)
- Submit Global Competence Reflection by May
- Award Notification by May