Portland High School students can earn a STEM endorsement on their transcript by achieving excellence through STEM coursework and extended learning opportunities. In order to earn this endorsement, students need to:
- Complete a minimum of 20 credits in STEM school coursework.
- Show competency in pre-calculus concepts.
- Earn credit in at least one STEM college course or STEM Advanced Placement course.
- Demonstrate substantial commitment and excellence with STEM learning beyond coursework. This is typically done with at least 50 hours of STEM learning in at least 2 of the three categories below:
- Completion of STEM-related internships (min. of 10 hrs.)
- Completion of at least 30 hours of approved extended learning opportunities:
- STEM related clubs and teams
- Annual STEM Symposium
- PPS summer intensives
- Professional Talks and Presentations
- Other STEM programming
- Completion of senior capstone project or experience
Students interested in pursuing a STEM endorsement should see their school counselor.
**In order to be officially “on track” for the STEM Endorsement and be able to report this to colleges for admission, it is recommended that by the end of junior year, students have earned at least 16 STEM credits and have 30 hours of additional STEM Learning.